In the last blog Wicken Toys introduced a selection of winter safe playing tips for children and how parents can keep their kids protected from the harshness of a British winter while they play outdoors or with outdoor toys. Getting into the specifics of why winter can be an appealing time for children and outdoor playtime it is clear that the allure of winter sports and games are at the core of it all. Winter sports can be a great way for children to stay active, but each sport presents its own unique hazards.
These winter sports and winter games safety tips for children can help them enjoy sports and games safely:
- If your children are using sledges in the snow, tricycles, bicycles or playing sports, then you need to make sure the quality of the outdoor toys they are using are of impeccable standards.
- Always use proper safety equipment and gear, including helmets.
- Try to eliminate horseplay that can lead to accidents and injuries, especially in icy conditions.
- Winter games and sports should really only be played in safe locations rather than anywhere that could be a potentially dangerous location.
- Teach children how to play safe including how to spot potential hazards.
For when the children return indoors after a day out playing follow these tips to keep them warm and comfortable and allow them to warm-up gradually rather than shocking their bodies with extreme temperature changes.
- If you have a fireplace or heater get that started before they come inside.
- Run them a warm bath.
- Have a hot meal ready for them.
- Do not put a space heater in a child's room for safety reasons.
- Never use electric blankets for young children.
By following these essential winter safety tips parents can ensure that their children will be warm and safe during the coldest months of the year and still be able to have fun with friends outdoors. just because the weather is colder doesn’t mean our attitudes to children’s playtime should be too!